This is the Leadership Journey series on the Choosing Leadership Podcast.
I believe we all have a lot to learn from each other’s stories – of where we started, where we are now, and our successes and struggles on the way. With this series of interviews, my attempt is to give leaders an opportunity to share their stories and for all of us to learn from their generous sharing. If you know a leader whom you would like to see celebrated on the show, please send me a message on LinkedIn with their name.
In this insightful interview, Yunus, a dynamic leader at Honda’s Emerging Technology Lab in the UK, takes us on a journey from his roots in Mumbai to his pivotal role envisioning the world of 2030 and beyond.
As a passionate advocate for democratizing opportunities, Yunus shares the challenges and opportunities he faces in navigating the ever-evolving landscape of technology.
Discover the key lessons he learned from being a project leader at a crucial time in his career, and how being comfortable with the unknown has become his superpower.
He dives into the importance of surrounding oneself with the right team and emphasizes the value of internalizing support to navigate both personal and professional challenges.
Join us for a candid conversation that unveils the mindset and practices he relies on to excel in his leadership role and stay resilient in the face of uncertainty.
You can find Yunus Jabalpurwala at the below links
In the interview, Yunus Jabalpurwala shares
- “My role at Honda is mainly focused on 2030 and beyond – what would the world look like, and what technologies do we need to work on to be relevant and make lives better?”
- “From Mumbai to the UK, my journey to a leadership role involved pivotal moments, like working as a research assistant and stepping up for a big project at Honda.”
- “Comfort with being uncomfortable is crucial. It’s about pushing boundaries and striving for continuous growth, both personally and professionally.”
- “In a world changing rapidly due to technology, my vision is to democratize opportunities. Access to technology should be available to everyone, bridging the gap between those who understand and embrace it and those who don’t.”
- “Challenges include staying updated with advancing technologies and curating information. The real struggle now is not the lack of information but choosing the right tools to create effective solutions.”
- “The biggest opportunity lies in the successful use of AI tools at the beginning of an exponential growth curve. Embracing these tools can lead to innovative solutions that benefit society.”
- “As a leader, it’s crucial to surround yourself with the right team and constantly learn from experts in various fields. It’s a person-centric approach to problem-solving.”
- “Being comfortable with the unknown has its challenges. Meeting accomplished individuals can trigger self-doubt, but understanding that success is relative helps navigate these moments.”
- “Internalizing support is vital. While external support matters, relying solely on it can be problematic. Knowing you are enough and finding that internal strength is key.”
- “Physical, mental, and spiritual health are interconnected tools for navigating challenges. Daily practices, like intense physical activities and self-reflection, help achieve a better version of oneself.”