This is the Leadership Journey series on the Choosing Leadership Podcast.
I believe we all have a lot to learn from each other’s stories – of where we started, where we are now, and our successes and struggles on the way. With this series of interviews, my attempt is to give leaders an opportunity to share their stories and for all of us to learn from their generous sharing. If you know a leader whom you would like to see celebrated on the show, please send me a message on LinkedIn with their name.
Join us in an engaging interview with Sampo Hietanen, the visionary founder and CEO of MassGlobal, renowned for the innovative Mobility as a Service concept.
Sampo’s journey from a civil engineer to a disruptor in the mobility industry is not just a success story but a roadmap for anyone facing leadership challenges.
Learn how he navigates the complex landscape of the mobility industry, breaking through the ego-centric mindset to create a true ecosystem.
Discover the secrets of his leadership style, emphasizing trust, a user-centric approach, and the delicate balance between dreaming big and achieving practical milestones.
Whether you’re in the mobility sector or any leadership role, Sampo’s insights offer valuable lessons for creating a vision, fostering collaboration, and steering your team toward success.
You can find Sampo Hietanen at the below links
In the interview, Sampo shares
- “Mobility represents something much larger in our minds – it’s freedom. We have to preserve the freedom of movement, and make sure people can go just about anywhere, easily and without overengineering the process.”
- “In the world of Mobility as a Service, our goal is to provide people with the feeling of freedom without the burdens of car ownership. It’s about creating a dream of freedom without the troubles embedded in owning a vehicle.”
- “To create a successful mobility ecosystem, we need to focus on the user case. By making the user experience appealing and showing the value users gain, we can pave the way for the future of mobility.”
- “In the short term, our priority is to make access to all forms of mobility extremely easy. The vision is simple – a one-click solution where users can access everything from e-scooters to taxis, car shares, rentals, and public transport seamlessly.”
- “The challenge in the mobility industry is the ego system versus ecosystem dilemma. Breaking through the traditional mindset of each player considering themselves the center of the universe is essential for progress.”
- “Leadership in the mobility industry requires a vision that inspires, coupled with a focus on achievable steps. Balancing big goals with practical, incremental progress is crucial for sustainable growth.”
- “Trust is the foundation of effective leadership. As a leader, it’s vital to show trust in your team’s decisions and capabilities. Trusting your team empowers them to become leaders in their own right.”
- “The biggest struggles in the mobility industry come from the industry’s size and fragmented nature. Integrating various players and overcoming their ego-centric views is a constant challenge.”
- “In leadership, it’s not just about setting the vision but also guiding the team on the next steps. Focusing on achievable milestones is crucial to keep the momentum and avoid spreading efforts too thin.”
- “While disrupting the industry, acknowledging failures and adapting the next steps is the harder part of leadership. It’s about asking, ‘What do we do next?’ and inspiring the team to move forward despite setbacks.”