This is the Leadership Journey series on the Choosing Leadership Podcast.
I believe we all have a lot to learn from each other’s stories – of where we started, where we are now, and our successes and struggles on the way. With this series of interviews, my attempt is to give leaders an opportunity to share their stories and for all of us to learn from their generous sharing. If you know a leader whom you would like to see celebrated on the show, please send me a message on LinkedIn with their name.
George is the Chief Executive Officer at Opal. He started as a web designer and his journey has led to him being the co-founder of a few really great companies.
With valuable insights drawn from his own experiences, he candidly discusses the trials and tribulations he faced in building his company from the ground up.
From embracing the challenges of starting his first business to transitioning into the CEO role, he offers practical advice on overcoming imposter syndrome and finding confidence in the face of uncertainty.
Discover the power of empowering leaders, maintaining a sense of challenge, and embracing innovation to create a thriving organization.
Whether you’re a seasoned entrepreneur or aspiring leader, this interview is packed with wisdom that will motivate and equip you to navigate your own leadership challenges with resilience and determination.
You can find George at the below links
In the interview, George shares
- “Being an entrepreneur means navigating the ups and downs of the journey, embracing the trials and tribulations along the way.”
- “My entrepreneurial drive was sparked by the booming internet industry in the late nineties, fueling my passion for technology and business.”
- “Facing the challenge of starting my first business, I constantly felt the pressure of making it up as I went along, but it ultimately led to valuable experience and growth.”
- “Experiencing the highs and lows of my father’s fishing business taught me the importance of financial stability and the motivation to build something successful.”
- “Transitioning from witnessing my father’s journey to starting my own business was a unique experience, where I realized the need to find my own path and overcome obstacles.”
- “As a leader, faking confidence and imposter syndrome can be exhausting, but with experience and self-awareness, it becomes easier to trust your instincts and react to challenges.”
- “Empowering and supporting leaders within the organization can unlock tremendous potential and drive innovation, creating a culture of ownership and execution.”
- “Maintaining a sense of challenge and avoiding complacency is crucial for personal and organizational growth, pushing boundaries and continuously iterating.”
- “The next phase for our organization lies in integrating AI into our marketing strategy platform, offering a unique solution for large-scale organizations worldwide.”
- “Balancing product improvement and growth challenges is a constant endeavor, requiring leadership autonomy and the ability to work on multiple fronts simultaneously.”