This is the Leadership Journey series on the Choosing Leadership Podcast.
I believe we all have a lot to learn from each other’s stories – of where we started, where we are now, and our successes and struggles on the way. With this series of interviews, my attempt is to give leaders an opportunity to share their stories and for all of us to learn from their generous sharing. If you know a leader whom you would like to see celebrated on the show, please send me a message on LinkedIn with their name.
In the interview, Jose shared how coming from a family of immigrants meant that he had to be better than anybody else to be able to reach anywhere. We spoke about his views on computers, entrepreneurship, always being secure about himself, and how with a very good team, you can make the impossible happen. He shares the importance of a good night’s sleep and taking care of our bodies.
You can find Jose at the below links
In the interview, Jose shares
- It’s never easy to be an immigrant, depending on the country where you are. But I always felt that I had to be better than anybody else because if I would not be, right? As an immigrant, you would not be able to reach anything. So there was a very big push for you to overperform always. And this definitely influenced my life later on.
- I think entrepreneurs in general are also very creative people. they are solution providers, right? They are always thinking about something new, an idea, or solving a problem, right? So it’s a combination of an X amount of things. Uh, and definitely that was my case as well.
- when you work for money, right, money is the most important thing. But when you work with a mission and with pleasure, money is something that comes in second place.
- when you were younger, you. Are a little bit more stressed, I think this is the right word. You are a little bit more anxious to get things done right. When you get older, you become a calmer, uh, it’s, I think it’s a maturity process and you become because you are, you have more experience, you become more wiser in the decision that you make and how you handle it.
- All my staff members are also stakeholders in the company, so I don’t have people in the company that HA are not a shareholder today. And this makes a huge difference because they know that whatever they’re building okay.
- I would say that in every business, the most important thing in a business is your team. Without a proper team, you can not make miracles. But with a good, very good team, you can make the impossible. Okay. Even if your business is not so good.
- every leader can make mistakes that make, that’s what makes us human
- So your co-founders, I like to talk, say, talk about co-founders. Your co-founders are a very important piece of the whole puzzle. Even if a few things, uh, don’t go as planned, your co-founder is, right there to support you and help you to get out faster.
- you cannot do it alone. You need to have people around you. So start building that team around you, as fast as possible. But you are also not the only knowledgeable person in the world, and I can tell you upfront that you definitely are not they’re always smart at people than ourselves.